Friday, June 17, 2011

Day 2 - Knit Research & Rescue - Success (mostly)!

Today's class went well... mostly. Today I used a teaching technique where you demonstrate an extreme to set the basic concept up in the minds of the students as being both easy and attainable.

Unfortunately, in doing so, I overwhelmed my students with an advanced correction technique - changing cable twists. This caused us to run a full hour over the scheduled class time, which I did ask their permission to do. When I teach this class again in the future, I'll skip this technique, and instead perhaps include it in a more advanced second level class. There are just so many other things I could include in this class, and I want to give students as many options as possible.

We did however successfully cover all scheduled topics, and used some of the overage to cover incomplete stitches as well.

Next Friday will be a much lighter class. We will cover all aspects of lifelines (insertion, dropping down to and picking up from and drilled lifelines) as well as weaving in ends, general course review, Q&A and troubled project review.

I can't express enough how much I've enjoyed teaching this class and getting to know these talented ladies!